2 large washed potatoes, chopped
1 small bunch broccoli
handful green beans
2 large mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup chopped leek
1/4 cup corn
1/2 cup chopped pumpkin
1 tb tomato paste
herbs and spices
bacon (as much as you like)
1 large garlic clove
3 cups lentils
1 tb milk powder (omit for dairy free)
1 1/2 cups grated cheese
(optional – parmesan cheese)
1. Put the potatoes on to boil in one pot, and put the other vegies on to steam or boil in another.
2. In a large mixing bowl, put the already cooked lentils, tomato paste, eggs, cheese and whatever herbs and spices you choose (I used a teaspoon salt 1/2 ts each of pepper, cumin, curry powder, cardamon and mixed spice, and about 2 tb of dried mixed herbs.)
3. Fry the bacon and garlic.
4. When the mixed vegetables are cooked, strain the mixed vegetables and keep the water as stock. Mash them (I added corn afterwards so I could have it whole) and add to the lentils. Mash the potato and add milk powder, then mix into the vegetable and lentil mix. Add spices to taste.
5. Put mixture in the fridge for 15-20 mins, then take a plate or shallow dish and pour onto it about 2 cups of breadcrumbs, seasoned with herbs and spices (and I use parmesan cheese).
6. Take a serving spoonful of mixture and plop it into the breadcrumbs, scoop the breadcrumbs over to cover the top and pat the breadcrumbs in while forming the mixture into a patty (or you can make small balls).
7. Spray a baking tray with oil and place the formed patties/balls on the tray. Spray the top with more oil and bake in a 200C oven for about 15 mins, or until golden brown.
Lentil and Vegetable Patties November 16, 2008