1 Large eggplant
1 red capsicum
6 sheets filo pastry
50 g baby spinach leaves
60g feta cheese
Olive oil (or olive oil spray)
1. Preheat oven to 190c.
2. Slice the eggplant and sprinkle the slices with a little salt and leave to dry on paper towels for 30 minutes. Pat dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture and salt.
2. Slice the capsicum into quarters or halves and place them skin side up under a hot grill for 10 minutes, or until the skin blackens. Peel the blackened skin off and discard it.
3. Slice zucchini lengthwise. Brush or spray the eggplant and zucchini with olive oil and grill for 5-10 minutes or until golden brown.
4. Brush or spray one sheet of filo pastry at a time with olive oil, then lay them on top of each other. Place half the eggplant slices down the centre of the pastry, then add a layer of zucchini on top of this, then a layer of capsicum, spinach and feta cheese. Repeat the layers until you have used up all the vegetables and cheese.
5. Fold over the ends of the pastry, then roll the pastry and vegetables up to form a log shape. Brush or spray the pastry lightly with oil and place on greased baking tray.
6. Bake for 35 minutes, or until golden brown.
(From Freyja on http://www.joyousbirth.info)
Filo Vegetable Strudel December 13, 2008