* Lifting the lid off the slow cooker lets some of the heat (steam) to escape which can lengthen the cooking time by 30 minutes.
* Stirring is generally not necessary until time to serve.
* Your slow cooker should be at least 1/2 full to ensure proper cooking.
* Adapting favourite oven recipes to a slow cooker:
Conventional Oven Baking Time 15-30minutes/30-45 minutes/50 minutes-3 hours
Slow Cooker (High) 1 1/2 – 2 hours/ 3-4 hours / 4-6 hours
Slow Cooker (Low) 4-6 hours/ 6-10 hours/ 8-18 hours
* One hour on high heat is equal to 2 1/2 hours on low heat (heat varies from brand to brand)
* Don’t add more liquid than a recipe calls for, as liquid is retained.
* If there’s too much liquid at the end of cooking time and you want to thicken it, stir in some instant mashed potato flakes, instant tapioca, flour or cornstarch.
(From Anaya from http://www.joyousbirth.info – who got it from a cookbook)
* Spray the dish with cooking spray to stop food sticking
* Cut up the ingredients the night before and have them in the fridge ready to add to the slow cooker next morning.
* Warm rolls for your soup by wrapping in foil and placing on the lid of the slow cooker
* If you coat meats in flour it helps thicken the liquid
* Add dairy products in the last 10 (high) to 20 (low) mins to avoid curdling