Some ideas for school lunches
- Freeze tubs of yoghurt and put them in the lunchbox. They will keep other food cool, and by lunchtime they will have defrosted into a yummy semi frozen yoghurt.
- Sandwiches – cut into shapes with cookie cutters, and use white and dark rye bread for checkerboard effect etc. to make it interesting. Use pocket bread or flat bread as alternatives to bread.
- Sandwich fillings – try things like: tinned tuna or salmon, avocado, grated carrot, sprouts, sliced meats, mashed boiled egg, tomato, cucumber slices, lettuce, beetroot (pat dry with paper towels to limit ooze), cream cheese spread, sliced cheese, sliced olives etc.
- Omelette roll – Make an omelette and use that as you would a flat bread to make a salad wrap. Like this
- Fried rice or pasta dishes that can be eaten cold, or take in an insulated container (thermos)
- Slices of quiche, frittata or pies, savoury muffins, cold homemade pizza.
- Thermos of soup or stew with bread rolls
- Vegetable Puffs (cold) with dipping sauce)
- Salads – Green salads (lettuce, tomato, celery, cucumber, carrot sticks etc.) and things like Potato salad, coleslaw, rice salad.
- Cold sliced meats (ham, roast beef, chicken etc.)
- Homemade Sushi
- Healthy muffins – use zucchini, apples, carrot etc. in muffin mixture
- Rice cakes or Corn thins with toppings (cream cheese, vegemite, nut spreads if allowed)
Ideas for school Snacks
- Dried fruit
- Fresh fruit (whole pieces of fruit, or offer pieces of several fruits)
- Carrot/Celery/Cucumber sticks. Can have a dip to go with them
- Fruit jelly cups – make jelly from the juice from a in of fruit, then mix fruit pieces into this as it is almost set. Pout into small containers for lunches.
- Fruit Sticks – Put fruit slices (banana, whole strawberries and grapes, kiwifruit, melon etc.) onto skewers
- Muesli bars (beware of nuts if not allowed)
- Pancakes/Pikelets – either savoury or sweet (try adding fruit like berries or banana)
- Cornchips or crackers with salsa or dip (such as hummus)
- Celery with filling (nut spread/cream cheese/hummus)
Make lunch box foods when you have time, and put them into individual portions in the fridge/freezer. Some foods can be put frozen into the lunchbox and they will defrost by lunchtime.
Please feel free to suggest more